If you are looking for the best free VPN for torrenting in 2021, it’s time for a reality check.
You already know that if you torrent without a VPN, you risk fines and possible prosecution. What you might not know, is that using a free VPN can actually make prosecution more likely.
Beware the Best Free VPN for Torrenting Honeypot
As the old saying goes, nothing in life is free. This is something that every person torrenting needs to remember when looking for a reliable VPN service.
If you’ve been downloading torrents for a while, you may have come to notice a peculiar trend in recent years. It is one that sees the FBI successfully seize major torrenting sites like The Pirate Bay, only for torrenting sites to suddenly spring back to life.
- In late 2014, the Pirate Bay was shut down by the FBI. However, in February 2015, the Pirate Bay sprang back to life.
- 2016 saw the sudden seizure of Kickass Torrents . However, this site too was quick to relaunch.
- In May 2019, popular torrent site MagnetDL made plans to cease all operations voluntarily. However, a few days later, MagnetDL announced that it would be returning in future—which it did.
This phenomenon has brought some to the conclusion that many torrenting sites are little more than FBI Honeypots. These being traps that law enforcement agencies use to identify people sharing copyrighted media.
Are Free VPNs Honeypot Traps Too?
The jury is still out concerning whether sites like the Pirate Bay really are FBI
honeypots. However, as reported by Vice in 2015 , there is evidence to support the theory.
As for whether free VPN services are also honeytraps, the subject is still open to debate. There are, though, some key points worth considering.
- Operating a VPN service is expensive. Anyone offering a free VPN service will need a way to cover costs associated with everything from server running costs to software maintenance.
- Some IT security companies do make free VPN services available. However, these typically take the form of bare-bones VPNs that don’t offer real privacy protection.
- Offering people free software and services like the legendary Windows assistant Bonzi Buddy, has long been the number one way to distribute malware and harvest PC user information.
If someone does say they offer the best free VPN for torrenting, you need to ask how this is possible. Does the company in question display ads on your device? Do they ask for personally identifiable information when you signup?
In short, if you can’t determine how a free VPN service makes money, you do risk putting your personal privacy on the line.
Using a Free VPN is Like Downloading a Torrent Without VPN Protection
Make no mistake, free VPN services are not true VPN services. As a case in point, one of the world’s favorite free VPN services takes the form of a Windows, Mac, and Android app called Tunnel Bear. However, Tunnel Bear itself explicitly blocks users from torrenting and streaming.
(If Tunnel Bear was a true VPN, it wouldn’t know when you are torrenting or streaming.)
Thankfully, using a real VPN doesn’t have to be expensive. Here at Shielded VPN, we offer high-speed VPN subscription plans starting at just $2.49 per month. Find out more and stay safer online by clicking here.
Our service is completely private and we keep no logs on any activity that is done. Plus we offer a four-day money-back guarantee so if you are not satisfied you will be refunded completely.