VPN encryption is the single most powerful tool you have to safeguard your online privacy. Here, we’ll look at how VPN encryption works. We’ll also explain why everyone should consider using a VPN to protect their online privacy and safety in 2020.
What is VPN Encryption?
When people plan on sending letters in the post, the first thing they do is buy an envelope. After all, you wouldn’t want everyone who handles your letter reading it as it makes its way to its destination.
In the context of a letter being sent in the post, hiding its contents is basic common sense. Sadly, what most Internet users don’t realize, is that when they don’t use a VPN, they leak personal information everywhere online on a daily basis.
How the Internet Works Vs. How You Think it Works
Most people who use the Internet assume that their personal information is secure as standard. However, in reality, nothing could be further from the truth.
- Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) can see every site you visit online.
- ISPs and hackers with the right tools can see all your downloads, emails, and even instant messages you send and receive online.
- Search engines like Google purposefully harvest as much information as they can about you online, from as many sources as possible.
In the case of search engines, many also purposefully track your real-time location. Doing this and more is altogether easy. This is thanks to the fact that unlike when you sen a letter offline, none of the data you ever send across the Internet is anonymized.
How Does VPN Encryption Work?
Do you worry about how much personal information you leak online every day? If so, it’s high time to consider using a VPN.
VPN clients and servers allow you to browse the Internet completely anonymously. This is thanks to the fact that all your Internet browsing takes place via an encrypted tunnel.
On a PC or device running a VPN client, information sent from your device is
encrypted before being transmitted across the internet. Servers you connect to online then decrypt this information. They then encrypt and transmit back to you details of whatever website you are attempting to visit.
ISPs, search engines, and other third-parties can still see that you are connecting to the Internet. However, they can’t see what websites you are browsing, what you are downloading, or who you are communicating with.
- Even if ISPs or search engines intercept traffic, they will not be able to decipher your web browsing information.
- VPN encryption masks your IP address. This helps you circumvent geo-blocks on some content types and prevents ad companies from tracking your behavior online.
VPN encryption makes it impossible for hackers and cyber criminals to see your credit card and other personal information, even when you use an unsecured public WiFi network.
Other VPN Benefits
In simple terms, using a VPN is like putting every packet of data you send and receive online in a sealed digital envelope. This equips you with better privacy and anonymity online. However, VPNs also equip users with other benefits.
- When using a VPN, users can circumvent ISP throttling of network connections.
- Using a VPN allows you to bypass Internet censorship firewalls, as well as firewalls put in place by certain businesses and public WiFi operators.
- If you stream content via media apps like Kodi or download torrents online, a VPN can help you do so privately and anonymously.
Start Securing Your Data Online with Shielded VPN
Make no mistake, using a VPN is the only way to go online 100% securely and
anonymously in 2020. Using a VPN is also surprisingly affordable.
With Shielded VPN, you can browse securely online and benefit from lightning-fast Internet access for as little as $2.49 a month. Even better, Shielded’s 4-day money-back guarantee means that you can try using our VPN service completely risk-free.Find out more and sign up now by clicking here.