How much does a VPN cost? – As a rule, monthly VPN subscription plans in 2021, can cost anywhere from $5 to $12 per month.
However, it is possible to buy VPN access for less. Some VPN providers also make their services completely free of charge.
Are free VPNs safe? More importantly, do VPNs really work, even when services cost just a few dollars? Here, we’ll look at everything you need to consider when choosing a VPN.
How Much Does a VPN Cost?
Do VPNs really work — even when a VPN is completely free of charge? As much as we would like to say yes, the simple answer to this question is no.
As a rule, there is no such thing as a free VPN. It is still necessary for us to pay for the upkeep of the servers. You also need to cover monthly bandwidth costs.
In the case of free VPNs, all free VPN providers have similar operating expenses. There is, therefore, no such thing as a completely free VPN. Either free VPNs will log and sell your data, or VPN apps won’t be VPNs at all.
When is a VPN Not a VPN?
A virtual private network doesn’t just route your Internet connection through a different server to that of your ISP. As well as this, VPNs use software to encrypt all data that travels between user devices and VPN servers.
When using free VPN apps, not all the information your device sends across the Internet gets encrypted. Instead, many apps only route traffic from web browsers through third-party proxy servers.
- A proxy server acts as a gateway to the Internet that devices connect through in
a similar way to a VPN server.
- Unlike when using a VPN, connections are not always encrypted. As a result,
anyone monitoring a proxy server can see what you are doing online.
- Proxy servers are notorious for harvesting user information and are often
operated by obscure third parties.
How Much Does a VPN Cost on Average?
When looking for a VPN, it is important to weigh VPN prices against what features a
- The best VPNs allow users to dynamically switch between virtual locations. (This
is essential if you want to use a VPN to stream content.)
- Ideally, VPN providers should never monitor user behavior or use logging to
keep a record of your real-world location.
- A VPN needs to be fast and easy to set up on any device you use to browse the
Average VPN Cost Comparisons
At NordVPN, one-off monthly VPN access starts at $11.95. There are, of course, several cheaper VPN services available online in 2021. However, most, (if not all) are cheaper for a reason.
- Some budget VPNs prevent users from using their service to stream, download, or torrent media.
- Many cheap VPNs log user behavior, before sharing user data with advertisers and other third-parties.
- Occasionally, cheap VPNs come without usage restrictions but may lag when it
comes to Internet speeds, or serve ads to cover operating expenses.
How to Choose the Right VPN for Your Needs
When choosing a VPN, it is important to think carefully about what you plan to use a VPN for.
If you plan to use a VPN to shop for discounts or stream media online, you will require a VPN that supports dynamic IP switching and lightning-fast connection speeds.
It is also important to look for VPNs that are compatible with your device’s operating system. If you are looking for both of these we recommend PureVPN as it can handle all of this ane more.
Online freelancer, owner of Shielded VPN and long time website creator and designer. Happily married man and father of two amazing boys.