Using Kodi in 2021? If so, you are not alone. Every month, 12-million people worldwide use Kodi addons like Exodus Redux to stream media.
However, as you might already be aware, doing so isn’t 100% legal. Here, we’ll, therefore, look at what the best VPN for Kodi is in 2021, as well as why you need VPN protection.
In this post, we will also look at how to install the latest Kodi 18.7 release “Leia,” as well as what the best Kodi addons are as of June 2020.
First, though, let’s look at what Kodi is and why smart Kodi users always use a VPN when streaming content.
Kodi is a free media player available for Windows, Mac, Android, and Linux. More importantly, Kodi is far superior to media players like VLC.
Why Kodi is so special is simple. By being open-source, independent developers can create addons for Kodi, that allow users to stream music, TV shows, and movies completely free of charge.
- With the right addons, Kodi users can stream media on Kodi similar to how they do on Netflix — just completely free of charge.
- You can simultaneously use Kodi as a home entertainment system that organizes and plays media from home media servers.
- It is just as easy to use Kodi on your smartphone, tablet, Amazon Fire Stick, or Smart TV, as it is your PC.
All that it is important to remember, is that if you are using addons to stream free TV shows or movies, it is in your interest to use a VPN. We’ll look at why in a moment. However, first, we’ll look at how to install and start using Kodi.
For most users, installing Kodi is relatively simple. If you are using Mac OS, Windows, or Android, simply visit the official Kodi download page by clicking here.
However, if you are using a Linux OS like Ubuntu, you will need to install Kodi via your system terminal using the following commands:
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kodi
For full Linux distribution install instructions, click here.
Where things get a little more complicated is if you plan on using Kodi on an Amazon Fire Stick or iPhone. When this is the case, it will first be necessary to jailbreak devices.
For iPhones, this can be done using tools like Cydia. For a Fire Stick, the process is a little easier.
On your Fire Stick, click settings, then follow the following steps:
- Navigate to My Fire TV
- Select Developer Options
- Toggle the switch to ON where it says ADB Debugging
- Toggle the switch to ON where your Fire Stick gives you the option to install Apps from Unknown Sources
- Select Turn On in the pop-up message that follows
- Go to Preferences and Turn Off Device Usage Data, Collect App Usage Data, and Data Monitoring.
Next, navigate to your Home Screen, search for an app called Downloader, install this, and enter the URL https://www.firesticktricks.com/kapk. This will install the Kodi installer.
Out of the box, Kodi does not come with addons that make it possible to stream free TV shows or movies. In every case, you will need to install these yourself.
We won’t list addon installation instructions here, as these vary from the addon to addon. However, the best Kodi addons to use in 2020 are Exodus Redux, The Crew, EXODUS V8, and GAIA. For up-to-date installation instructions for each, just search Google for the addon you plan on using.
Do you plan on using Kodi specifically to stream media from external sources using addons? If so, this is where using a VPN comes in.
Free Kodi streaming addons like Exodus Redux, The Crew, and Tempest, stream content from private media servers, not TV networks or platforms like Netflix.
Strictly speaking, streaming media on Kodi from third-party sources isn’t illegal. Because you are not uploading content yourself to share online, streaming isn’t the same as torrenting. However, all this is about to change.
- In 2017, EU lawmakers were successful in ruling that streaming content without the explicit consent of copyright holders is illegal.
- In the U.S. similar laws haven’t come into effect just yet. However, U.S. and Canadian users regularly receive copyright infringement notices as a result of using popular Kodi streaming add-ons.
- In late 2019, the Anti-Piracy Alliance (ACE) successfully shutdown several leading Kodi streaming services like Openload, after targeting Kodi users and file-hosting platforms.
Now in 2021, groups like ACE are actively monitoring Kodi users. Their reason for doing so is simple.
The more Kodi users they can identify today, the more copyright infringement notices they will be able to serve when new streaming laws come into effect.
What is the Best VPN for Kodi?
Why you need to use a VPN when using Kodi is simple. When you use a VPN to stream content via any Kodi addon, neither your ISP nor groups like ACE can see that you are streaming.
This is why investing in a Kodi VPN service is so vital in 2021. Sadly, not all VPNs are 100% reliable.
- Top VPN service providers like Nord have been known to let security lapse from time to time.
- Fee Kodi VPN addons often don’t anonymize user data and can contain malware.
- Using free VPNs like TOR with Kodi results in constant content buffering due to low network speeds and high traffic volumes.
Using Kodi Without VPN Protection Isn’t Worth It
If you are currently using Kodi without VPN protection, you can guarantee that someone, somewhere is watching.
Don’t sit waiting for your first copyright infringement notice or penalty. Take affirmative action by investing in Kodi VPN protection.
Online freelancer, owner of Shielded VPN and long time website creator and designer. Happily married man and father of two amazing boys.